5 Things to Look For When Buying a Mattress Online
5 Things to Look For When Buying a Mattresses Online
Buying the right mattress is an important decision–after all, you’ll be spending a third of your life sleeping on it.
With the recent explosion of mattress companies selling online, the last few years have been huge for the industry. Online companies are breaking new ground with mattress designs, materials, and innovations that are taking sleep to the next level.
But just like when you’re purchasing a mattress in the store, you have to know what you’re doing before you start.
In this guide, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about buying a mattress online, including the benefits of buying online and the things you should look out for. With these tips, you can be sure you’ll get a great deal–and a great mattress.
Why Buy a Mattress Online?
Before we get into what you should look for when you order a mattress online, let’s go over some commonly asked questions. What’s different about buying a mattress online vs in store?
What are the mattress types?
Before you get into the differences between shopping online and in store, it’s important to know the types of mattresses that are out there. Here’s a rundown of some of the basic mattress types:
- Memory foam. These mattresses are typically made entirely of foam. They last longer than traditional mattresses and mold to fit your body type and sleeping style. While memory foam is known to be one of the most comfortable options, it’s also known for trapping heat.
- Innerspring. If you’re looking for something traditional, an innerspring mattress is the perfect choice. As the standard design for mattresses all across the country, they offer a foam layer for comfort with a steel coil core for support. However, they don’t contour to the body as well as memory foam and can sag over time.
- Latex. These mattresses are made of organic latex foam made from rubber trees. They offer a comfortable, bouncy top layer and contour well to the body. While they’re comfortable and environmentally friendly, they’re known to be one of the more expensive options.
- Foam Hybrid. Combining the steel springs from the innerspring mattress with the foam layers of the foam mattresses, this mattress has the best of both worlds. It has strong support with memory or latex foam layers on top for comfort. This mattress can mold to fit your body without trapping too much heat.
What mattresses are available online?
Now that we’ve covered all the types, what kind of mattresses can you get online? When you order a mattress online, you’ll have your choice of a wide range of mattresses.
In some cases, you might find mattresses you wouldn’t be able to find in a store. Latex mattresses, air beds, and water beds tend to be more available online than they are in the store. You can also find options that are more customizable to your specific preferences.
Online shopping also makes it easier to find mattress types that incorporate different types of foam. These designs tend to prioritize comfort to help you stay in a deep sleep.
How much do mattresses cost online?
Depending on the mattress and the online company you’re buying from, the price can vary.
In most cases, buying a mattress online offers a better deal than in-store.
And even better, they use the same materials without skimping on the quality. Most online prices will be 25% to 50% cheaper than in a chain mattress store.
For a queen mattress, an innerspring or foam bed averages between $800 and $1,200.
If you’re not satisfied with the price, you can always shop around in different online stores.
Can you try out an online mattress before purchasing?
The lower mattress cost in online shops can come at a price. When buying a mattress online, you won’t be able to test it out before you buy it.
While lying on a mattress for a few minutes in a store isn’t a foolproof way to measure whether you’ll like sleeping on it in the long term, it does help you narrow down which mattress is right for you.
Testing out a mattress can help you decide which mattress type and style you prefer. You don’t want to take home a memory foam mattress only to realize that you hate the feeling of memory foam. The good news is, most online mattress companies are prepared to address these concerns. They offer benefits like a trial period of 60 days or more.
You can try sleeping on the mattress after a few weeks to see how it affects your sleep. If it isn’t working, you can return it risk-free.
Other online companies have showrooms where you try out the mattress in person before committing to buying it.
5 Things to Look For When Buying a Mattress Online
If you dread taking a trip to the nearest Sleep Number and trying out mattresses for hours in a stuffy, expensive showroom–don’t lose hope.
With online shopping, there are more options than ever before. Big name department stores aren’t the default for mattress shopping anymore.
Through an online retailer, you can get a comfortable, customized mattress at a great price. Even buying a mattress online cuts out a lot of the hassle, it can be stressful to buy a mattress without testing it in the store. Bringing home a mattress that doesn’t work for you could disrupt you from getting the sleep that you need.
How can you be sure that you get a comfortable mattress that’s right for you? Here are a few things you should keep in mind when buying a mattress online.
1. Pick the Right Company
When it comes to buying a mattress online, the options can seem endless. While the online industry only picked up recently, lots of companies are jumping on the bandwagon and selling their mattresses online. With all the options out there, it’s not always easy to narrow it down to the best option for you.
The easiest way to differentiate the different brands is by mattress type. For the most part, companies will make only one type of mattress. For example, some carry foam mattresses, while others carry a combination of different kinds. Stick to the companies that sell direct-to-consumer. This means that you’re cutting out the middleman and avoiding the interaction with a salesperson.
You won’t have to haggle for a fair price–it should already be cheaper than retail costs. Here are a few reputable manufacturers to check out:
- Eight Mattress. Eight mattress is the #1 selling smart mattress on the market today. It integrates with most smart devices so you can warm the bed before your get in. It also has an alarm feature and monitors and tracks your sleep. A built in sleep coach provides tips and suggestions for a better nights sleep. Eight has a 100 night guarantee, so if you aren’t satisfied you can return it for a full refund within 100 nights. Delivery is free and prices range from $699 – $1,599 but they usually offer a discount of $50 – $250 depending on the mattress.
- Nectar. This mattress company specializes in foam mattresses, they use a tencel covering that allows for airflow to keep you cool while you sleep. Nectar has a 365 day guarantee with free shipping and returns. They also warranty their mattresses for life (as long as you own them). Prices range from $425 -$825 and they offer adjustable bed frames for $649 – $1,298
- Nest Bedding. Nest sells a more traditional mattress, focusing on airflow and a cool nights sleep. Their lower end mattresses are made of fabric with a foam base and their high end mattresses use a hybrid foam / fabric combination. Prices range from $389 – $1,449 with free shipping (except Alaska & Hawaii) and a lifetime comfort guarantee for the original purchaser.
Keep in mind–the number of sellers online has surged in the last few years. While the companies listed above aren’t all that’s out there, they are a selection of more established companies.
With a newer startup, there’s no guarantee they’ll still be around years from now. This means you won’t be able to cash in on a warranty–or even a free trial or return.
Make sure that whatever brand you’re buying from has a good reputation and a proven track record in the mattress industry. The longer they’ve been around, the better.
2. Read the Reviews
When you’re shopping online, one of the best ways to judge the quality of the product is to read what others consumers have to say.
Take some time to read through reviews and see what people have to say about the comfort of the mattress, customer service, and the delivery policy. Just be sure to take customer comments with a grain of salt. Especially when it comes to mattress preferences, what works for one person won’t necessarily work for another.
Just because somebody leaves a bad review about a mattress being too firm doesn’t mean you’ll hate it too. More importantly, read through the customer reviews for things like company warranty, return policies, and customer satisfaction.
Also be wary of reviews on a company’s website. Some brands will select top comments to feature on their website while omitting the honest reviews. Check mattress review websites, Youtube videos, or blogs.
3. Know Your Preferences
In-store mattress buyers enter with the confidence that they can try out each mattress in person. They also have the support of store employees who can answer questions and give more information about each mattress available.
As an online buyer, you have to rely on your own hard work. Be sure to do your research–look up the best brands, models, and feedback from buyers. It always pays to know your stuff. Know the different mattress styles, materials, and what works best for you.
Consult all the different sites until you’re entirely confident in making the commitment towards an online mattress.
What are your sleep priorities? What’s important to you in a mattress? Here are a few questions you should ask yourself:
- Do you prefer a soft or firm mattress?
- How much support are you looking for?
- Would you prefer a mattress that contours to your body?
- What price range makes sense for your budget?
Answering the questions above will give you a great starting point to narrow down your search. If you have more specific needs, be sure to note these down as well and include them in your search.
Mattresses and pillows that help with snoring, temperature sensitivity, or other sleep issues can be found online–but you have to know what to look for.
4. Break-in Your Mattress
Keep in mind that when buying a mattress online, you might have a longer break-in period than other mattresses. When your mattress arrives, it will be compressed and vacuum sealed into a smaller box.
This helps with ease of shipping and handling. But it also means that after you unpack your mattress, it may take a few days to fully expand and return to its normal shape.
If a mattress is sealed in this box for too long, it can cause permanent damage to the foam. Be sure to find companies that offer made to order mattresses and ship quickly after compressing.
Keep in mind even after your mattress has returned to its original form, it might take a few weeks to properly break-in the mattress.
Showroom mattresses always seem more comfortable than they might be when they arrive. Countless prospective buyers lying on the mattress can help break it in and keep it soft.
For your new mattress, you’ll have to do the breaking in yourself. If the mattress doesn’t fit your specifications right away, don’t panic and send it back. Wait a few weeks and try sleeping on it a while longer before you make a decision.
5. Double Check the Price
Before buying a mattress online, make note of the total price. This includes upfront costs, trial period, return, warranty, potential delivery fees and any additional charges. Usually, online mattress companies don’t have a return or delivery fee, but it doesn’t hurt to double check.
Make sure that you understand the warranty coverage. Know exactly what’s covered, what’s not, and for how long. While buying online helps you avoid haggling with a salesman, it doesn’t mean that you can’t renegotiate the price.
Not only are the online prices already cheaper than in-store, but you can find additional coupons to take down the cost. Do a quick search online and try to find a coupon that could take off a percentage of the price.
Finding the Mattress of Your Dreams
Buying a mattress online can be a daunting process if you’re not prepared. It takes time, research, and a good understanding of the industry. If you keep these tips in mind and know what you’re looking for, you’ll find the mattress of your dreams–without ever having to set foot in a showroom.
Still searching for a better night’s sleep? Check out our blog for anti-snoring tips and product reviews.
As always, we hope you found this article, “5 Things to Look For When Buying a Mattress Online – Know B4 You Buy!” both informative and entertaining. If you did, may we ask that you share it with your friends and family through social media. It really helps us a lot and is greatly appreciated!