10 Common Things That are Killing Your Sex Life
Sex and intimacy are basic human needs. While some people can and do live happy, healthy lives without sex, most of us experience sex as an important part of our relationship. Something that is both pleasurable and important for us to maintaining intimacy. So why then do 34% of Americans rate their sex life as unsatisfying? While some problems maybe out of our control, diseases, accidents, death of a partner, a lot of issues can and do arise from seemingly unrelated or harmless parts of our life. So in the interest of promoting better sex, here is a list of the 10 most most surprising everyday things that are killing your sex life and what you can do about them.
10 Common Things That are Killing Your Sex Life
1) Fast Food – Want a recipe that’s sure to diminish your sex life? How about we mess with men’s erectile function and women’s physical arousal. Hamburgers, french fry’s, pizza and taco’s are all foods that cause fat levels (cholesterol and triglycerides) to rise in the blood. These excess fats impede blood flow to the genitals causing both decreased erectile function in men and decreased sexual arousal in women. Besides, eating junk food is a great way to put on weight making a naked you more self conscious and less in the moment. Always remember, it doesn’t matter how good a race car looks, if the fuel line is clogged, performance always suffers. What to do – Limit foods that are high in fat and carbohydrates.
2) Gum Disease – Kissing is an almost universal way that humans form intimate relationships. One of the first symptoms of gum disease is bad breath. While gum disease can be a sign of other, more serious health issues. It’s main cause is bacteria in the mouth producing the gasses that make your breath smell foul. It should be no surprise that chronic bad breath creates an impediment to building and maintaining intimate relationships. After all who wants to kiss some one with “Dog Breath”. What you can do about it – Practice good oral hygiene and if the problem persist, consult your Dentist.
3) Not enough physical activity – We all know that exercise is important for our physical health, but it also plays an important role in a healthy sex life. Being physically active stimulates blood flow throughout our body including our genitals. Adequate blood flow insures that everything stays in top working condition. Exercise has the added benefits of weight control, increasing body firmness, reducing depression and increasing testosterone levels. You’re not necessarily going for the “perfect body”, just good cardio-vascular health. What you can do about it – Moderate exercise 3-4 times per week is all that’s required.
4) Too much exercise – As a general rule,”moderation in all things” is a good motto. We’ve talked about how a not enough exercise can harm your sex life, but over-exercising is not good either. This is especially true for men. Studies have shown that frequent high intensity workouts can upset the balance of testosterone and the luteinizing hormone, this results in a syndrome called the “exercise hypogonadal male condition.” Symptoms include, weight gain, lack of progress in physical goals and loss of sexual interest. Additionally, over-exercising can cause fatigue in both sexes reducing libido. What you can do about it – Unless you are training as a competitive athlete, moderate exercise will provide the best overall health benefits.
5) Snoring – Here’s one that slips under the radar a lot! Snoring interrupts the sleep of everyone in the bed. Most snoring occurs in the deepest or REM phase of sleep. This is the phase when your brain and body are getting the most benefits from sleep. When snoring interrupts this phase, it means you’re going to wake up tired becoming fatigued during the day. Being fatigued can cause all kinds of problems including depression, weight gain through lack of exercise and poorer diet decisions, hormone imbalances and moodiness. So just to be clear, snoring can contribute to being depressed, overweight, tired and moody. Doesn’t sound like recipe for a passionate sex life to me! What you can do about it – There are a lot of very good over the counter anti snoring products available. You can find inexpensive snoring solutions here.
6) Medications – A lot of medications can kill your sex life. Some of better known “libido killers” include; anti-depressants like Prozac and Zoloft , benzodiazepines like Xanax and Valium, birth control pills, antihistamines like Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton, beta blockers to treat heart conditions and glaucoma as well as opioids to treat pain. Some lesser know medications that can affect your libido include; Medical Marijuana, Anti-seizure drugs, the hair loss drug Propecia and certain medicines use to treat enlarged prostate such as Proscar. The bottom line is that any medicine affecting the central nervous or hormonal system can have a significant effect on your sex life. What you can do about it – Talk to your doctor! Do not stop taking a prescribed medication on your own. Stopping these medications can cause LIFE THREATENING complications! Always talk to your doctor, many times they can prescribe a different medicine or adjust your current dosage.
7) Stress – Having a stressful day at work or getting into a fight with your best friend will all increase cortisol levels in the blood. Cortisol is a stress induced hormone that is a sure fire libido killer. Some studies have suggested that cortisol suppresses the production of testosterone as well as other sex hormones. What you can do about it – You’ll never be completely stress free in life, but getting exercise, practicing mindfulness and meditation can all help counteract the negative effect of stress.
8) Caffeine – This is another thing that you can put into the “moderation in all things” category. Generally speaking, moderate use of caffeine should have no effect on your sex life. However, being a central nervous system stimulant, caffeine can trigger or intensify any underlying feeling of anxiety. High anxiety levels will cause the release of the stress hormone cortisol quickly extinguishing any passionate feelings you may have had. What you can do about it – Use caffeine in moderation, and avoid using caffeine at all before going into any stressful situation.
9) Alcohol – Like caffeine, alcohol in moderation is fine, it’s when alcohol is used to excess that it becomes a problem. Drinking too much can affect arousal in both men and women but with men it can make achieving an erection impossible, a condition commonly referred to as “Whisky D**k”. While this condition is easily cured just by sobering up, alcohol can worsen other common underlying issues. Because it’s a central nervous system depressant, alcohol can worsen the symptoms of depression. Alcohol has also been known to play a part in poor decision making. Sobering up to the realization that you made a fool of yourself, started a fight or even got arrested just adds unneeded stress and anxiety to your life. Additionally, alcohol is a significant factor in liver disease which can wipe out your libido completely. Finally, excessive alcohol consumption is closely associated with weight gain and all of the self esteem issues that come with that. What you can do about it – Always drink in moderation, no one finds a sloppy drunk attractive. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, please seek help. Talk to your doctor, or go to one of the many mutual aid societies available in your community.
10) Smoking! – Is there anyone anywhere that thinks smoking is a good thing for anybody? Well, you can add killing your sex life to the long list of things smoking does to you. Besides giving you yellow teeth, bad breath and wrinkles, smoking also constricts blood vessels limiting blood flow to the genitals. With less blood flow, women experience less arousal, less intense orgasms and are at higher risk of having painful intercourse. For men, the problems are just as bad. Restricting blood flow to the penis can make it impossible to maintain or even get an erection. And the longer you smoke, the more damage you are doing. There will come a day when the damage becomes irreversible, once that happens, penile injections or surgery become your only options. What you can do about it – Quit smoking! Unless you have suffered irreversible damage, your body can heal and proper blood flow can be restored increasing arousal, sexual response and more intense orgasms.
Everyone wants a exciting and healthy sex life. It not only feels good, but it strengthens the love and bonding between people while reducing stress and promoting cardio-vascular health. It’s long been established that maintaining a satisfying sex life improves the health, happiness and even the life expectancy of both partners. By following these ten tips, our hope is that you will have a very long and satisfying sex life!